AdCollect Conservation Data on Dolphins & Other Marine Life. Enquire Today & Discover Tropical.
Zanzibar, off the coast of Tanzania, is a beautiful tropical island and tourist hot-spot due to its stunning beaches, turquoise waters and vibrant history. Ticking swimming with dolphins off the bucket list is also why many venture to this exotic paradise. Yet, prominent research shows the harmful effects of mismanaged interactions and this form of tourism on marine mammals. The answer is never simple – considering the local community’s reliance on this income – but, as part of this Marine Eco Tourism Internship abroad you will become part of a positive solution.
Throughout your placement, you’ll help to create responsible ecotourism practices, connecting a passion for nature, conservation and entrepreneurship with high calibre data collection for university-led research studies.
THIS MARINE ECO-TOURISM INTERNSHIP, YOU WILL:
- Work with tourism operators in the area to determine the impact of current practices on the marine biodiversity in the area and assess the long-term benefit of sustainable ecotourism
- By boat, collect daily data on dolphins and other marine life, including the significant influence of tourism on their natural behavior
- Build on local capacity by delivering collaborative workshops that encourage the community of tourism boat drivers to create more sustainable practices
- Assist in delivering a change to tourism practices in the private sector, developing small enterprises and high-quality programs to ensure the longevity – and conservation – of the ocean’s natural resources
- Attend monthly meetings with our research partners from the Institute of Marine Sciences (University of Dar es Salaam) to discuss project development, research studies and alignment
- Live and work on one of the most stunning tropical islands in the world
- Be immersed in the vibrant and colorful fishing villages of Jambiani and Kizimkazi
- Be supported throughout by our team of 3 personal mentors, giving you context and tools to use throughout your future career
There are different types of opportunities out there, which can put you on the right path, here are some ideas for you to bear in mind.
Deciding on what you think you like is not easy, I have put some courses here for you to check and see if any of these are the right choice for you.
These are short courses that will help to identify if this is the right thing for you and you can also make choices of what career is the suitable one.
They offer theory and practical training, you will receive a diploma on the course.
If you would like to have more information, do not hesitate to contact me.
Marine Biology Diploma Course
The Marine Biology Diploma Course is specifically designed for those interested in working or volunteering in the many different areas of marine biology.
Marine Zoology Diploma Course
This Marine Zoology Diploma Course is perfect for anyone with an interest in marine life and is great preparation for anyone wishing to pursue a future career in marine zoology.
Marine Animal Rescue Diploma Course
The Marine Animal Rescue Diploma course was designed for anyone wanting to work with marine animals or are already involved in their rescue, rehabilitation, and care.
Marine Research Station Practical Placement
This is a 3 weeks practical placement where volunteers work in a marine research station that involves the local village boatmen conducting daily surveys, to better understand problems and help empower them to protect their own islands. This placement includes a PADI Open Water Course.